Thursday, March 8, 2018

New work and Studio Redo Pics

Easter Parade
acrylic on canvas 18" x 18"

The Quiet Conversation
acrylic on canvas 18" x 18"
Boy, they don't write songs like this anymore and what a pity that is. Give a quick listen to Bing Crosby singing like an angel to Marjorie Reynolds in Holiday Inn. It will make everything better, trust me!

The first piece started out just as a color idea and when I finished there was really no title still. Usually something comes to me during the process but not this time. So, as I was getting ready to photograph the piece, for some reason I thought about Irving Berlin's song Easter Parade. The colors just remind me of Easter I guess. (And Springtime too if you really want to know.)

The second piece also started as a color idea. I had seen the cover of a Via magazine featuring a shot of Yosemite. Blue skies, green trees and some orange lettering for the magazine title. As I added colors, at one point I thought about the Bark Beetle blight that we have here in CA (and the West) in our forests. I liked the idea and even for a short time I liked the colors I chose. But, after a bit I realized that I just had a collection of colors. Not very exciting. Then, as I started adjusting colors, things began to get toned down and to fall into place. I ended up "graying down" all of my colors until I felt things were harmonious. I was reminded of what Nicholas Wilton calls the "quiet conversation." He means, I think, that not every element of the painting can be the star of the show. All elements in the piece, such as color, shape, and line, shouldn't be given equal weight otherwise nothing will stand out as the main idea. The piece will just be sort of shouting at you. That was how I felt about all of the saturated colors I initially had. Judicious adjusting and editing was called for!

Speaking of editing, I revamped my studio a few weeks ago and started to put things back. Not everything made it! Rich did put up shelves for me and I have been slowly populating them with current work. And bears. And stuff!

Current pieces 2018 and my "thinkin' " corner.



Too many bears for a 47 year old woman! (These are from my childhood, OK? Mostly!)

Some earlier pieces along with books and painting supplies. Gotta have books and lots of them!
So, good news I think. Rich was a real sweetheart and helped me make my studio space into a very special room with many of the things that I love. Those teddy bears have been with me since I was a child. My mom put them aside for me until I got a house and could collect them all in one spot. They have been waiting patiently in the inferno/frozen meat locker that I call our garage. I have some special objects too that I amassed over the years. They are placed lovingly on my shelves so I can see them. When I look at my stuff in this studio space I am reminded that I am an individual (apart from being a wife and daughter and friend) and that I am loved. Really, my wish would be for everyone to have this type of feeling in some way.

Alright, enough nostalgia. I hope everyone is having a good week so far. We have beautiful weather here. I was nearly too hot on my walk this morning!
Thanks for reading and commenting,
Libby


8 comments:

  1. Libby, I left you a long comment, then got bumped off of here by my computer and it disappeared!! Synopsis: I love both paintings and their titles! Also love your studio. I'm thinking about what to do with mine and now I'm inspired!! Why not surround ourselves with our work and things we love? Yours looks terrific and I think your Rich is a keeper for being so helpful. Enjoy your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,

      Rich really is a Prince Among Men!

      I hope you find something wonderful to do with your studio space that suits you. Maybe all humans have this issue from time to time, that they want their "things" around them so they can feel like an individual. It's important I think:)

      Now go fondle all of your pens and scissors!
      Thanks for the comment and visit,
      Libby

      Delete
  2. One big part of living alone that I love is that I am surrounded by all of my things that I love. It's just great.

    I like your new pieces too. The 1st one has colors that are the recommended colors for me to wear with my complexion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra,

      You must be a Spring or Summer then! Those would all be good colors on you.

      I think that once you get in a relationship it's easy to lose track of being an individual. Not bad but just easy so you have to be a little careful. It's nice to have your own space with all of your own things and interests around you. It's important:)

      Enjoy your stuff!
      Libby

      Delete
  3. It was quite enjoyable to have the bright colors of "Easter" (dyed eggs?), and the grayed colors following. I kept viewing one after the other and back again. I like them equally, but for different reasons, which I can't really articulate. I also enjoyed seeing your surroundings and the comfort of the objects imbuing your personality to your space. congratulations on having such an inviting and supporting environment for your art making.

    p.s. send a little of that warmer weather our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      I like both pieces too for different reasons. I think for me it has to do with balance-the balance of the brights and shapes in the one piece and then the neutrals in the other. I suspect it's because not any one thing stands out. That's my theory anyway!

      Spaces where people can be themselves are important I think. And maybe it isn't limited to a space in your home (though that is nice isn't it?) but can be any kind of a space. It's awfully nice to be surrounded by what you really love:)

      It's gray here now but warmer than it was. Altogether very pleasant. Soon enough it will be hotter than blazes so I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts:)

      Hope you are well. Thank you for your visit.
      Libby

      Delete
  4. Dear Libby - both pieces are very wonderful - the first one being my favorite - spring - Easter - reminds me of jellybean colors. Bright and happy for sure. I was also delighted to visit your studio and enjoy keepsakes. Now I will picture you there creating. Your bear collection is so special. Hope you have a super day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for your constant readership and lovely comments! I let time get away from me and didn't respond soon enough.

      Jellybean colors aptly describes that piece nicely! I should change the title:)

      The studio has been a real pleasure to work in so far. Nice and clean which suits me just fine!

      Hope all is well with you this Easter Sunday and that you are celebrating. Thank you again for your visit.
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby