Sunday, January 31, 2016

January 2016 Wrap Up Post


Precarious
image size 12" x 16" matted to 16" x 20"

Every Last Drop
12" x 16" matted to 16" x 20"
Trouble in Callville
image size 12" x 16" matted to 16" x 20"

Transcontinental
image size 12" x 16" matted to 16" x 20"
The end of every month is always a surprise to me. Seems like it was just Christmas! January is nearly over though and I want to share what happened in my studio this month.

1. Precarious: The first piece references some aspects of the reading about Hoover Dam that I have been doing. The building of the dam is fascinating and the sheer magnitude of the project is overwhelming to contemplate. One of the things that stood out for me was the question of safety on the job site. The imagery I chose drew on some ideas about workers, scaffolding, and accidents.
 
2. Every Last Drop: Inspired again by my research on Hoover Dam, this second piece uses simple and personal symbols to represent water, sun, the company that built the dam, and the workers themselves. The title refers to the numerous and seemingly endless ways that the water of the river is parsed up and distributed, used and reused again until it trickles to the Gulf of California. Look closely at the piece to see the two letter "H's" that I used to reference Herbert Hoover. Hoover was a controversial player in the building of the dam. Naming the dam was hotly debated for a time because of this aspect. Ultimately, Hoover's name was given to the structure.

3.Trouble in Callville: This piece was also inspired by my reading about Hoover Dam and refers to the little town of Callville. The small town was near the building site that was immersed under water when Lake Mead was created. I again drew on my ideas about worker safety, the river and people to come up with the images and colors for this work. 

4. Transcontinental: Hey! No Hoover dam references. This time I was inspired by the history of railroading in the United States. Directly related to my interest in all things water, the history of the railroads really is about connections, including bringing people to the West and "connecting" them with new frontiers new ways of life and a seemingly endless supply of resources to support those things.  I used images to reference bridges, tunnels, bodies of water and land.

Coming Up:
Guess where I am going? My husband and I have organized a trip to Hoover Dam! I am particularly excited because of my interest in the river and the structure of the dam but I am also really looking forward to visiting Utah. We will be exploring Zion National Park. The landscape there is something I am not familiar with and so I really hope to be inspired by it. Stay tuned for details!

Try This Now!:
I do something creative every day. How about you? No time you say? Can't draw, you say? Forget it! Have you looked at adult coloring books? They are a wonderful idea and a great antidote to the "I can't draw" or "I am not artistic" statements. Pshaw! I found an article here that describes the idea of the coloring book as an artistic outlet for supposedly non-artistic types. Check the article out if you can. Coloring is such a wonderful and easy way to express yourself. You get to use whatever media you like (pens, crayons, paint, etc.), choose whatever colors interest you, and pass the time making creative decisions. It's my opinion that creativity is for everyone. My definition of being creative is the notion that you are bringing together many different things to create something new and unique. Coloring books offer this kind of opportunity I believe within a structured framework of an already finished drawing. No pressure to draw but tons of freedom to choose colors and mediums. Check out Amazon or other retailers for all sorts of choices.

Lastly:
I'd like some feedback about offering "unstructured "classes" in my home studio. I would be looking for those of you who have unfinished painting projects and could benefit from some on-on-one collaborative sessions. The sessions would be about two hours as needed, would be reasonably priced, and would be a nice back and forth kind of idea. If you might be interested or know someone who could benefit can you please get in touch with me? (Because it is my home studio, I would need to already know you or to be able to connect you with someone that I know.) 

Once again, thank you for following these posts and for supporting my art making endeavors. And get yourself a coloring book. You won't regret it!
Libby

8 comments:

  1. A wonderful body of work for the month of January. I love your inspiration of Hoover Dam. I have never been there either but have been to Salt Lake City and Logan up in the mountains. Beautiful there but quite different from where you will be. I look forward to all that inspires you to create more beautiful art work.

    I love your idea of unstructured classes. I can see that being very useful when stuck somewhere on a piece and not being able to find a path to travel. I hope the response you get is a good one. Well, on to February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,

      I hope the trip will be fruitful. Honestly, I am a little nervous about going down into the tunnels but I am going to make it work!

      I am not sure the classes will come off but I think the idea is a good one. I am going to look at how else I might market them. It would be good to have a group to consult with when you get stuck!

      Thanks as always for the visit. Stay warm!
      Libby

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this wrap-up. Libby. The symbolism, structure and colors in your pieces are fabulous.

    I think I would be there like a shot to join your group.
    New input is so valuable from a trusted source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,

      Thank you as always for your kind words. It helps!

      I am not sure if I can get the classes off the ground but think that the idea is a good one. I mentioned to Barbara above that I am going to see how else I might market the idea in my area. I'll see how that goes!
      Libby

      Delete
  3. dear Libby, Wow Libby! It looks like Picasso came by your house to give you advice on the colors and shapes you used in "Every Last Drop". Look as some of his paintings and see if you see any similarities. That picture is a keeper. Carol Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      Glad to hear from you! I have looked at some work of Picasso and other artists working in a similar style from that time frame. That history has really driven my interest in collage and has informed a lot of what I have done lately. I wish Picasso would drop by! Maybe help me out a bit!

      Thanks for your comments on that one particular piece. I like it a lot myself and thought it to be a strong painting. Hopefully!

      Thanks again, Carol. See you soon.
      Libby

      Delete
  4. Dear Libby - all of these are exceptional but my favorites are "Every Last Drop" and "Transcontinental". Oh I wish I lived closer because I certainly would love to be a part of your class. Perhaps someday! Take care and have a great week. I will be looking forward to hearing about your vacation. I just know you will have lots to share. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      It would be fun to get together to go over our work. Support is so important I think. We will see what happens with the class idea. The blog post was the first shot and I will need to see how else to market the idea.

      Have a good week yourself. Thanks as always for the visit and comments.
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby