Thursday, July 13, 2017

New Work: Aboard The Beagle


Aboard The Beagle
24" x 36" acrylic monoprints on paper affixed to board
This was finished a few days ago and was a complete surprise to me. Originally these mono prints were to be a kind of "under painting" with other layers placed on top. My idea was to add about 4 layers of different colors and then sand down to reveal whatever I thought was interesting.  I still like this idea and intend to pursue it but as I started to add each of these pieces I felt like I had something additional and didn't want to cover things up.

I assembled this piece in much the same way as I do my other pieces. I started with a grid design and added the predetermined papers. It is very much like quilting, literally. These are 6" blocks. I did decide to vary the spacing and so in the second row, I started with a half block and then proceeded to a full block. (I got this idea from a home improvement show that I watch where the guy was laying out roof tiles.)  I was able to see very quickly that even though these designs all seemed very similar, they are not. There are densities of tone to deal with, direction, pattern and value. Each mono print seemed to offer something different so I had to kind of corral similar things. I tried to vary what went where so that I would have a cohesive yet diversified patterning.  In the end, after each block was applied, I assessed things and added more white or more patterning as needed. It was very challenging because I didn't want to add too many details. I think the overall effect of differentiation would have been lost. It's curious and fun for me to note that although there is a lot of pattern here and strong contrast, I found myself making the exact same decisions as I would normally make when working with solid colors and not quite so much contrast. I seem to have internalized some basic design ideas which to me, is quite wonderful and a big advancement. 

As for the title, what can I say? The patterns that emerged on the mono prints seemed to have a botanical/prehistoric/animalistic type feel to them. I saw figures and plants and stars. I was reminded of some things that I have read about Charles Darwin and his voyage aboard the Beagle.  I also felt that the prints had a photographic or "x-ray" quality to them. I learned that there is indeed a style of photography called "photograms" which utilizes a kind of botanical x-ray. I really love what emerged from a little experimentation.

OK, hope everyone is having a good week so far. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I sure like how this one turned out. I really hated the idea of covering things up so I will hopefully pursue those other ideas later. For now, I am enjoying this one.
      Libby

      Delete
  2. As always, this is fascinating exploration on your part. I will be anticipating the addition of colors and the sanding back experiments. I am tickled by your title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Funny how things stick in your mind and show up later when you need them. I had read a series of books and listened to a podcast that referenced Charles Darwin. It must have struck some kind of a chord:)

      We will see what happens with the cover/uncover/discover ideas:)

      Thanks as always for your visit!
      Libby

      Delete
  3. Dear Libby - I have to echo Julie's wow. Your design is absolutely wonderful. I am such a fan of black and white that this really is a winner to my eye. Will be looking forward to where this type of art takes you friend. Have a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      Thank you so much for the enthusiastic response. I really like black and white also-very crisp and orderly to my eye. We will see what happens next I guess.

      Take care and thank you again for your visit.
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby