Saturday, June 10, 2017

New Work: Creekside

Creekside
16" x 16" painted acrylic papers mounted to wc paper
More and more I am starting to notice what element(s) of design another artist may be trying to work with. I really just mean to say that whatever a person may be emphasizing in their work is becoming more obvious to me; easier to spot. (Whether or not I am right is another matter!) It's very subjective, I know, but I feel like I can guess if an artist may be into color relationships or if line and the personal language of line is important instead. Perhaps shape making is the thing. whatever it is, I feel a little more confidant these days in trying to take an educated guess. (And perhaps nothing-the person could just be having a good time!)

I spend some time on Pinterest and Instagram each morning looking at artwork. It's educational and distracting but also helps me to engage actively in a kind of learning. Trying to identify some element of design that may be present in another artist's work helps me to connect in a way. I find other people that seem to share my same aesthetic.

The above piece was finished yesterday. I painted a group of papers that had quite a bit of texture, for me anyway. I intermixed those with other papers I have that are painted more "flatly." I like the mix a lot. It's interesting to note that the yellow at the top and bottom is actually the same yellow paper. It's a little more pronounced in this photo than it should be but that yellow color looks different at the top than it does at the bottom. Stuff like that interests me, keeps me putting colors together when I would like to actually throw in the towel! 

Dreaming about quiet, still creeksides; water and its many colors and mysteries.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

7 comments:

  1. This is really fascinating. I immediately responded to the photo of the piece, then read your words. I was astounded to have you reveal that the yellow at the top and bottom are the same. It is such a revelation to see the blue green (darker values than the yellow - it appears, anyway) make the upper yellow seem paler than the yellow at the bottom next to what I am seeing as a warm blue gray. That yellow looks like it tends to a mid-range ochre. Of course, this is subjective according to the settings on my viewing screen, but It was a great pleasure to see this blog post and to have these situations arise. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      It's more pronounced in the photo but the effect is still interesting isn't it? I have read Jospeh Alber's book on color theory and though much of it is hard to understand, I did get the broad concept that all color can look different when placed next to other colors. It's pretty fundamental.

      The color at the bottom which reads as a warm blue gray was also really interesting. I moved that sheet all around next to the other colors and in different lighting situations. It went from a bluish color to a purplish (red) color and then to green (more blue and yellow). Really fun stuff.

      Color is something. Very hard to grasp I think and then to work with. A real challenge!

      Hope you are well. Thank you as always for your observations.
      Libby

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby - if I were to guess right now color is your main theme and I am loving it. Amazing how that yellow color does appear so differently...must be simply that the colors surrounding it make it seem a different shade. The texture in the lime green that is center really makes me think of streams. So peaceful and lovely friend. Great stuff here to consider. Hope you are having a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      I think you are certainly right about how the same color can appear different when placed next to other colors. It is certainly some kind of phenomenon. And yes, I am definitely driven by color these days:)

      Hope that your week has gone well. We have been away for a little while and I am getting back in to my routine. Have a lovely weekend and thank you again for your visit.
      Libby

      Delete
  4. Don't know how I missed this one.
    Another fascinating post.
    I agree with Carol that the top yellow does not appear the same value as bottom one. Even when I blanked the colors around it out by using my isolater on the monitor is appeared way different. Then it hit me that the light might have been closer to the top yellow than the bottom one.
    I know I have all types of trouble getting my colors to balance it out after comparing photo to painting. My cataract does not help!
    This is an issue that I find fascinating and my copy of Alber's book is well worn. Anyway, Libby, I love the fact that you are so interested in color and texture. Me too. J. Alber believed personal expression of color can only happen after we learn to really SEE and understand true color. A lifelong pursuit! Have a wonderful and creative week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,

      It's true, as I mentioned above, the the effect is more pronounced than it should be but is still noticeable in person. It's more subtle but it was surprising enough to keep me interested.

      Color, for me anyway, is really difficult and challenging. Lots of people I know love color-love to use it in its raw state and use as much as possible and all together. I am still trying to figure out why I have focused on this particular design element. It makes a lot of sense for me, I know that much!

      Anyway, go get that cataract fixed if you can. I haven't heard a bad report yet from anyone who has had that surgery-it's life altering!

      Thanks for the visit!
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby