Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 8: 30/30 challenge


This is the 4th piece in the challenge and yes, I know it is day 8! Don't forget that I did some sketches too.

It's amazing how wrong things can go with painting when I am not thinking straight! Too tired or ideas are crossed, etc. For the above piece, I started with two different ideas and the wrong set of colors. I have learned lately that for me, fewer colors are better. I vacillate between having the right colors premixed in tubes (sort of a colorist approach) or mixing what I want from the primaries (a warm and cool of each). I do know that today, I set the painting aside to go on my walk. I was quite frustrated and decided that I would take one last look at things when I got home. I decided to simplify my palette down to cerulean blue, pyrole orange and cad yellow medium. Those are some very warm colors but it helped to just have a few. That orange has a very cool undertone to it actually. It helped. This feels like a Libby landscape-my take on what I see everyday in my little World of Calaveras:)

OK, I have a day off tomorrow but will be back on Saturday. The reception for the River Reflections project is on Saturday and so I hope to go check that out. we'll see.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Libby. Restful, harmonious and defined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby - I haven't had a chance to comment on your posts but been reading and enjoying your sketches and simple landscapes. They are wonderful and you inspire me so friend to keep painting when I have time. Hope you are having a delightful week-end. Will email you when I get an opportunity - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like Namibia to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby