Wednesday, February 14, 2018

New Work: Uplift 1 and 2

Uplift 1
18" x 18" Acrylic on canvas

Uplift 2
18" x 18" Acrylic on canvas
Recently I mentioned on FB that I was going to have my studio painted. The painter, the same one who painted the outside of our house, came over about a week or so ago to assess the damage. My artwork was still on the walls and as we stood there talking, he remarked that the paintings would make good "sound proofing tiles" like they have in movie theaters or on ceilings. I chuckled a bit (inwardly). Nothing like being put in your place by the guy that is going to paint your walls. 

I have been busy with one thing and another. Most of what I have been doing is voluntary. There have been a few obligations here and there. Painting the studio was a big deal. I hate having my house in disarray. I have been hiking a lot and cooking. Rich had a colonoscopy on Monday (all is well) and there is always grocery shopping and hair cutting. I have had lunch with my two aunts and cousin (always nice) and I like to do my reading in the afternoon. Somehow, the art production has declined a bit. I figure though that as long as I am thinking about things, generating ideas and feeding the creative drive here and there, then I am fine. 

The above two pieces weren't really inspired by anything to begin with. I find that if I set out to "represent" something, that it then becomes a disaster for me. It's much better if I pick a set of colors and think of things along the way. For these two pieces, I was reminded of land forms and how they rise and thrust and move about. I learned a new word today too. By searching through some geology terms, I came across the word "uplift." It means this: A structurally high area in the earth's crust, produced by positive movements that raise or upthrust the rocks, as in a dome or arch. This idea of rocks and earth being moved about over unimaginable periods of time is quite interesting to me. Unfathomable really. And I think that these last geometric pieces that I have done which don't use right angles help to convey an idea of movement. The forms are irregular and regular all at once, somehow. So while I didn't originally set out to do this, to present that idea of geology intersecting with art, I think maybe these pieces, for me anyway, help to support that idea.  

Hey! I have a piece in process. I started it when the studio was being painted. (My painter gave me tips on what to do!) I'll be able to show it shortly. In the meantime, I hope everyone reading is doing well, being creative, and is happy and healthy. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure your painter was just a kindred soul. LOL!
    I hate it when people offer unsolicited advice or ideas. Not that I am above some good advice but really, I am usually in my own creative world and like to stay there undisturbed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I am with you on this one. It wasn't until fairly recently, maybe the last 6 months, that I really stopped listening to (and looking for) pieces of advice on how to make art. It's like I don't want to hear anything outside of my own thoughts. I just want to be able to focus on my own ideas without them getting clouded up with other people's ideas. You know?

      So yah, I get that. (I think!)
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby