Sunday, January 8, 2017

New work: Above and Below 3 & 4; Book Recommendations

Above and Below #3
16" x  16" painted paper collage on paper

Above and Below #4
16" x  16" painted paper collage on paper
I think these are the last two pieces in this series of four different ideas about atmosphere. The inspiration came from my drive through a valley where I live. As I drove up and down the hills to get home I caught glimpses of the sky and the horizon line. I could see different layers of colored air, most likely due to all of the particulate matter in the air and whatever else happens scientifically in the atmosphere to make those colors. And even though I was thinking about the colors that I saw on my trip, I was also reminded about the land and the sky, how they meet and what can be seen when that happens.

In the next couple of days I hope to move on to some other ideas. I have had a chest cold though since about Wednesday or Thursday so I haven't been totally focused on things. Everything in good time I guess.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested I have a book recommendation. Two actually because the subject matter of each book dovetails together nicely. The first is by Loren Eiseley and is called The Firmament of Time. Eiseley was a naturalist and anthropologist living during most of the twentieth century (he died in 1977). He wrote eloquently about natural processes and scientific discoveries, wondering aloud about mankind's current path of progress. Historical events and the key findings of scientific figures are woven together with Eiseley's reflections to give us a picture of how geology came to be and it's intersection with religion and history. 

Eiseley's book can be read along with a book by David R. Montgomery titled The Rocks Don't Lie: A Geologist Investigate's Noah's Flood. This book brings the reader up to date with current thinking about the age of the universe and how life came to be, all filtered through the prism of past and current scientific findings deftly interwoven with and juxtaposed against the biblical interpretations of Noah's flood. Whatever your thoughts are about creationism and evolution, this book  is an enlightening read.

OK, thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby


6 comments:

  1. Thanks Randall! I think it is the orderliness of geometric design that makes everything so clean and crisp. I can do "classic nobility" all day long!

    Thanks as always for your observations. I do appreciate them:)
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what Randall says - Classic Nobility. I am afraid I can't top that one.
    Will, "I think the harmony and balance in both of them are gorgeous" do?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randall really comes up with the best observations-often ones that I would really love to be deserving of! I think harmony and balance is just fine, both things that I hope to strive for.

      As always, thank you for your visit and comments:)
      Libby

      Delete
  3. Libby both of these are superb. Once again I feel water - especially the top piece. The values that are displayed give wonderful order to each one. Hope your cold is getting better. Perhaps a cup of tea and those good books you mentioned will be the perfect medicine. Take care and have a good day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie-

      So glad that you get a sense of water and that you also feel there is order to the pieces. That helps so much in the way of knowing what others perceive. Order is exactly what I am after!

      Cold is getting better little by little. I have been exercising through it, resting when necessary. Tea always helps:)

      Thank you for your visit and observations. I saw that snow in your pictures. Stay warm!
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby