Monday, October 3, 2016

New work: That Thing You Do

That Thing You Do
Collage on paper 15" x 18"

The above piece was started on the heels of the last piece. In looking for color inspiration, I went through a binder that I keep containing snippets taken over the years from various magazines. One article that I came across showed pictures of vintage McCoy and Hall pottery. The colors of muted blues, greens and yellows were set against a red cabinet. Right away I thought that these were colors I could get in to! I painted about 8-9 pieces of papers in different hues and I was good to go. The title is in reference to the idea that finding the thing that is the most "you" will show you the key to your art making. When you figure out what you really love (that thing you do), then your art will flow more naturally.

Originally I had a sketch in my sketchbook that I was using for reference. I was doing pretty well, following the sketch, but I started to abandon things when I felt I was too attached to duplicating my sketch. i wasn't able to make a move without consulting the original picture. So, that was my cue to shut the sketchbook! Once that happened, things flowed more smoothly.

I had several things happen by accident.  I added a triangle shape with the top lopped off. As I added shapes Rich came in to look and said that he saw a door and a hallway. He was seeing some depth instead of flattened space. That was sort of interesting. The other thing that happened is shown in the upper right corner. I had a cut a piece, intending to use it in one spot. It wasn't totally working so I just sort of moved it around. Putting it an an angle in the upper right corner caused a sort of "fan" effect, kind of like spokes on a wheel. I liked it so much that I added it to another area.

Hope everyone is well. I am including some information below from a friend.

Thanks for reading and commenting,
Libby
******************************************************************************

My art friend, Linda Trapp, is teaching a class. I have included the info below, copied from her pdf flyer. If interested, or if you know someone who can benefit I hope you will consider signing up. Her web site is here.

New Workshop for Creative people of all disciplines: Slaying the Dragons: overcoming fears & insecurities that plague artists Linda Abbott Trapp, PhD Sat., October 15, 9-12 Sutter Creek Gallery, Creekside Studio, 35 Main St. Cost, $40 Register 209 772-0502 Bring notebook and pen, 2 photos of your work Class description: This 3-hour workshop covers the issues of low self-confidence, fear, and jealousy. We're going to learn how to get from there to the strength, courage, trust, and joy that characterize the true nature of those who seek the beautiful and true in life. First, we'll complete a brief self-assessment to learn what we're doing right and what needs to change. We'll explore the psychological barriers that have built up over a lifetime, and learn how to grow in strength, valuing our selves and our work more highly. We'll look at fear -of the blank page or canvas, of others' judgment, of failing to meet our expectations, of public ridicule. We'll learn where our courage emanates from, and how to develop it, especially in the face of risk. We'll tackle jealousy, which leads to loneliness and fear of sharing. The antidote to jealousy is trust, and there are clear steps to take to grow in self-trust and trust of others. Finally, we'll summarize and look at applications, perhaps developing an artist statement that reflects a clear, positive and powerful understanding of each person's work. We can put together a game plan to address issues that keep popping up, and work to plan for accountability as we grow. About the workshop leader: Linda Abbott Trapp is a working artist, winning awards and praise for her sensitive abstract watercolors and wood assemblages. Her website, lindaabbotttrapp.com, lists recent shows and awards. More pertinent to this workshop is her background: a former Dean and faculty member at the California School of Professional Psychology, and a Dean at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, she blends a solid knowledge of psychology with an understanding of the stresses and rewards of the artistic life. She has led over 3,000 workshops and published seven books and over 250 articles, columns, and reviews, and has lived and worked in Ethiopia, Siberia (briefly) and Mexico. 

4 comments:

  1. Ah Libby these colors do make me think of fifties pottery. Especially the teal. I live the fan shape. Isn't it wonderful when a happy accident just seems to work out perfectly. Your friend's workshop sounds great. I am sure there would be lots of interest in this area. Take care and have a great week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      The colors are kind of retro aren't they? I have been thinking about Fiesta ware also. Funny what we gravitate towards isn't it?

      Hope all is well. Thank you as always for your visit.
      Libby

      Delete
  2. I do relate to old McCoy pottery and the idea of seeing them in a red cabinet being quite inspired! I was totally intrigued by how you let the white at the sides go "off the page". When I first saw it in the email it was more evident. On the blog post there is a bounding box.

    I'm a big fan of arches so that lower right is very much an entrance to me and I see the perspective that Rich did, with the hallway ending in the square. I also immediate go to the yellow "house" with the blue "window" as a shape I am always drawn to. I really like the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      Thanks. I ended up really liking the piece also. Arches are one of the things that I am drawn to also but for me, I end up seeing them as tunnels too. I make an association with the tunnels dug into the sides of mountains in order to construct dams. It's my ongoing interest in all things water!

      Thanks as always for your observations. I appreciate it!
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby