Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sketches and the Tedium of My Studio Practice!






Warning! This post is likely to be deadly boring!

So, no finished painting this week other than what I have already posted. Why is that, you say? Because I fell into a hole and couldn't get out! 

Vacation was wonderful and it made me feel very clear headed about my art. I got back home however and quickly cocked that all up. I sort of know what happened. I like to work from my sketches and develop a color plan ahead of time. I like to have a value study also that gives me just a little hint as to which direction to go. I didn't develop a color idea but just relied on memory and my photos. Then, it was just down to the photos. Big mistake, for me anyway. I know other people do just fine but I don't, for whatever reason. So, I painted and repainted and repainted some more. I could have painted my front yard fence!  In the midst of this I was trying to get ready for a show. And, to get ready for a class. Big mistake! Happens every time. 

So, I abandoned the sinking ship that was my painting. I worked on some sketches instead and developed some color ideas. I went back to look at Etel Adnan's work again to get motivated and inspired. Rich and I went to Lowes and bought a patio set. I took a nap with Cassie and had a half a beer. We went for a walk this morning. These things all help to assure me that I am still functioning because frankly, I wanted to pack it in.

Alright, tomorrow is Monday and I can't wait. To read something more positive, go here to my other blog.

Libby

4 comments:

  1. A new day. A new start. And, it does help immensely to look at work one admires (Etel Adnan) and become re-inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Libby- sorry about your painting. I feel your pain at the same time your post made me smile. The patio set sounds like a reward for all the failed endeavors. Take heart friend things will look up. Now I am hopping over to your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have times like this, Libby! Hang in there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up with you again.....still love this new series of yours.....it was fun to see your sketches and to hear of your failure as well as your successes. As Judy said we all have times like this more often then we admit to the public. What you should have done is taken the entire beer out to your new patio table and drank it and relaxed for the rest of the day. Then start over the next morning. A new day sometimes works wonders.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby