Monday, April 29, 2019

New work: Coevolve

Coevolve
16" x 16" painted paper collage on wc paper
In my last post I mentioned that I am reading a book on evolution written by Carl Zimmer. I am still pecking away at it and have resigned myself to now being a slow reader. (At least I am still reading!) 

In any case, the above piece was inspired by a couple of things that I read. First, I didn't know that birds have a poor sense of smell but can see well in color. Many flowers are colored red, for example, so that birds can see them to pollinate them. I can attest to this fact since I have a fuschia colored salvia bush outside my window that is frequented by humming birds. Insects cannot see in color but have a good sense of smell and gravitate towards pollinating flowers with a strong aroma. I also learned that there is a particular flower (somewhere in South America?) that has a 16" long shaft with the parts to be pollinated deep inside that shaft. A moth exists that only pollinates that flower. He has a curled up tongue that becomes filled with blood and unrolls to be 16 inches. Imagine that!

You may have guessed that I am on the chapter in the book that deals with co-evolution. I have certainly heard of parasitic relationships but the concept of two things evolving together in tandem is kind of new to me. Very fascinating. So, literal soul that I am, for my piece I pictured unfurling tongues and flowers! I also read about Mendel's peas and his experiments to discover the secrets of heredity. I learned about the evolution of vertebrates and all about how genes and chromosomes worked. I pictured a cell breaking apart from a group of cells. (I also recently studied a little bit about how cancer starts.) 

In all honesty, I can't say that I start any of these pieces with specific images in mind. The pieces in fact start with just some very general shapes. (You can probably tell that by looking.) As I am working though my mind wanders to whatever it is that occupies it: reading material, words I heard, something I saw on TV or noticed while I was on a walk. I'll often jot down a little image in my sketchbook of whatever it is that I am imagining. (Lately I have a lot of flower sketches so out came that idea!) 

It's taken me a good long while to get to this point, the point where I feel I have something for myself, art wise. I know perfectly well that for most of my friends and family the artwork does not appeal. It's OK. I could paint bad landscapes I guess but then where would I be? I just can't concentrate my efforts there and would rather spend my time enjoying the work of others who are much better at that genre. So, that's where I stand. I like having my own thing.

Here's to hoping everyone reading is off to a good start this week. And may you all have your own thing too!
Thanks for reading,
Libby

2 comments:

  1. It is your way Libby. Looking at it before I read anything, I thought 'she knows what she`s doing, she found herself'. You did! Even you can tell. Trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! At some point I just started telling myself that whatever was happening up on the paper in front of me was OK, that it was me (no matter how silly things looked) and that it had to be alright. I think that kind of self talk has helped. That and the passage of time. Your suggestion to trust myself is right in line with what I am trying to do:)

      Thank you as always for your encouragement. You just have know idea how much it helps!
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby