Sunday, March 31, 2019

Sketches and Some Ideas on Said Sketches

A just for fun map of the way up a hillside on one of our hikes

Table Mountain, Jamestown, CA

Some of the first wildflowers I started to record



Testing out some very inexpensive and basic colored pencils





Testing out some inexpensive felt tip pens, Crayola Brand


I am not so crazy about having crappy photos on my blog but I did want to show what I have been up to, art wise, in the last several weeks. 

About a month or so ago I bought a small travel sketchbook. The idea was to record what I saw while I was hiking or walking. The sketchbook's purpose is a little different than my main sketch book which serves as a spot for sketching but also as a personal journal where I record thoughts, feelings, and ideas. My travel sketchbook is meant to be a separate and distinct thing. It would be nice to track what I see over time; to note what is blooming when and where; how the landscape changes, how the weather is different from time to time; and just any general observations regarding my environment. And I can hardly remember about my hikes from year to year so this sketch book helps with that aspect of things too.

I'd like to mention the obvious too. I don't draw well at all. At best, I have a rudimentary grasp on capturing a small likeness of something. And guess what? I don't care! It's taken quite a while to get to this point, the point where I don't care, and frankly, it makes me happy. I am more attuned to how my hand holds the pen, the line it makes, and the observations that I can garner and write down. Can I get close to a likeness of something? Yes, I can. Is it perfect, of an illustrator's quality? No. Is my perspective off at times? You betcha! It's all good though as far as I am concerned and I am going to tell you why. 

The reason my efforts count is because, well, my efforts count! I taught a series of classes several years ago called Get Started Sketching in Nature. All of my students were people who had been away from their art (and their creative side) for quite awhile. Uniformly, they all wanted to improve their drawing (or learn to draw). And, straight across the board, they all said they wish that they had more time to draw, could do what I did, could draw better, etc., etc., etc. I heard a lot of wistful comments that upset me. The sketches above are not complicated, like, say, rocket science is complicated. The hurdle isn't the sketching itself but all of the mental baggage that comes first. And I think it is necessary baggage to "unpack", as they say these days. It's pertinent that you get over the embarrassment of what things look like and the only way to do that is to sketch. A lot. And show those sketches to people if you can. You have to spend the time doing it otherwise, as they say, if wishes were fishes... 

And that brings me to my main point. What I do matters no matter what it looks like because it's me that matters. Me. Those sketches and observations are an extension of Libby The Artist (even if the sketches are a little sketchy!). That's what I think the students mentioned above were missing. For whatever reasons, their creative efforts didn't translate to a value of themselves. And because they hadn't been consistently working at things, the "me" value was missing. 

So, I hope that those reading will check out the observations and comments in the sketches above. I stand by what I taught in the above mentioned classes: basic observations start with who, what, where, when and how (and perhaps why). Taste, smell, touch, sight, hearing, and instinct-these are all recordable and valid ways of observing and can serve to get ANYONE started with a sketchbook or notebook. It's a way to be engaged with yourself and the world around you. 

I'd point out  that what I write down isn't earth shattering. Usually it is just things like the weather, the hike location and who I was with, what I saw and what might have been unusual. If you are a flower person you might notice all of my naming mistakes. I am using an app called INaturalist. It's helpful but without a knowledge of the underlying structure of the plant and all of the terms that go with that (taxonomy I guess), it's a little garbage in, garbage out. But again, no problem. It's the effort that counts!

Please, leave your comments. I am sure they will provide a good laugh for both of us. Thanks for reading!
Libby

12 comments:

  1. This is a great post both in words and imagery.
    I agree with your assesment of the mental baggage. Guilty of it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's ditch that baggage!

      Glad to have your visit. Hope all is going well.
      Thanks,
      Libby

      Delete
  2. YAY! I love this post so much! You wise woman, you. I applaud your sharing of your sketches and your attitude! Thank you for the great reminder. You matter. I matter...we all matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I really have to agree with you on that. We all do matter. I have run in to a couple of women friends recently who seem like they are trying to "reclaim" themselves. How do we get so far adrift from the center I wonder? Anyway, I do think our efforts, all of them count. Glad that you think so too.

      As always, thanks for visiting and commenting.
      Libby

      Delete
  3. Dear Libby absolutely and amen! One should sketch for their own benefit first and foremost. We with social media being so prevalent get a wonderful opportunity to share our own imperfections and at the same time encourage others to do the same. Your post is super friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      Thank you so much for such a positive response! I think you are right-sharing what is real, warts and all, helps all of us to be included. Nothing wrong with that!

      Thank you as always for your visit. It's appreciated:)
      Libby

      Delete
  4. Hi Libby, I love what I'm seeing here! The combination of words and imagery makes for wonderful pages and memories. I used Firefox as a browser this time to see if my comment goes through. Hope it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,

      Your comment came through just fine!

      I think the writing is nearly as important as the imagery. You can't always remember the details (I can't anyway) and I think the words help to solidify what has happened. Plus, they create a good reference guide for the next time the same thing happens.

      Glad you like the sketches and thank you for your visit. It means a lot!
      Libby

      Delete
  5. When it’s so easy to snap a few pics with a phone, recording experiences this way slows one down, and, I think, better embeds the memory. Your drawings are charming and indicate a person engaged fully with life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie,

      So very nice to hear from you at this end of things. I like Instagram but I still cling to the old school blogging thing.

      I couldn't agree with you more. Slowing down is really underrated as far as being calming and helping us to remember and to take part in things. It's hard for me to do too so it's real work. Sketching and writing is a good way to start.

      Hope all is well with you. I appreciate that you took the time to comment.
      Thanks,
      Libby

      Delete
  6. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. artbasel

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. abstract blue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby