Monday, March 11, 2019

New Work: Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum
18" x 18" painted paper collage
The above above piece was actually finished several days ago but has been sitting and waiting for a clear day for me to photograph it. I am not anxious for it to warm up and get dry but just a day here and there would be great!

I admit to being super pleased with this design. Specifically, the circle of circles around the circle (!!!!) was something that I was not expecting. And at the last moment, when I felt things weren't finished, I hit upon the idea of the waves of smaller circles. I am a big fan of repetition and variation. I haven't the imagination to make stuff up but I can certainly look for recurring elements and vary them to create interest and congruity. Early on, when I was learning about the work of some famous artists, I read a book about Georgia O'Keeffe. There was some sort of quote to the effect that once she learned about the elements of design, how to manipulate them, she saw that the possibilities were endless for making every kind of painting that she wanted. I have to agree with that one and the idea of that has guided me ever since.

While making this piece, I had some things on my mind. It's no secret that I love rainbows. Ever since I was a kid I have loved their vibrant and clear colors. They have many meanings and can represent different ideas for different people. I am aware of this (and of the potential controversy of the symbol) as I use the rainbow imagery in my work. The other thing I was considering is the word "spectrum". I recently had a conversation with a friend about the reproductive rights of women. I have always had a clear stance on this subject but listening to my friend, I realized that the scope of my opinion was very limited. I felt that I had failed to embrace the "full spectrum" of available options. (Love and tolerance are not always easy.) In any case, those are the items that likely influenced the above piece in some way.

Currently I am working on two smaller side by side pieces. I had such a good time with this several weeks ago that I thought I would try it again. I have also started taking my sketchbook with me on  my hikes. It has been fun making sketches of flowers and the landscape, noting the appearance of new growth and changes that I see. I stopped doing this practice as I distanced myself from representative art but I think that circling back to it is a good idea. I can't always predict what will feed my art making process so I may as well try whatever I can.

Alright, If you have sunshine in your neck of the woods, go outside and enjoy it! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

4 comments:

  1. Libby I wait for cloudy days to photograph my work. Other than in summer, I don`t wait long. I have the setting in my camera set for 'cloudy'. Sunny can work too but shadows are often a problem then.
    Your new piece is wonderful, I love the complexity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randall,

      Thank you! That is good advice. My camera does have that setting. It's been raining here so much that I haven't wanted to take my work outside. There is nowhere covered to photograph. I really should invest the time and energy into an indoor setup but I just haven't.

      And thank you! I am really happy with how the piece turned out. I never know if things will work or not:)

      Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate them.
      Libby

      Delete
  2. I really like everything that is going on here, but most especially, I love the circling dots around the larger circle and the "wave" inside that circle. When I look at the whole piece I can dive right in and see lots of shapes that interest me, but as a whole it works beautifully. I loved it on first view and I'm sticking with it! Great work, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol!

      I really like that circling action too. When I thought about doing it I wondered if it was just silly and too obvious but after a few seconds, I thought why not? It felt like a good decision. Funny how you can feel if a piece is working or not.

      Hope all else is well. Thank you again for your visit. Your observations always help!
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby