Saturday, May 19, 2018

New Work: Mountains of Strawberries; An Article

Mountains of Strawberries
20" x 20" acrylic on canvas
I almost titled this piece, Where to Next?  For some reason making color decisions just didn't come easy this time around. And although I am happy with the results I am just not entirely sure about what I will do next. 

The pieces are all started the same way. I have a design and it is drawn onto the canvas. I have a loose idea of the colors that I want to use.  I start placing colors and pretty soon, I am off the grid! I have deviated from The Plan. Generally this is fine but sometimes it produces a crisis of faith. Should I be doing something else? Will I always produce this type of painting if I am always starting in the same way? Are my color decisions stale? What if I just completed one section at a time? Would I just have 5-6 different sections that didn't relate to each other? One of the things that I think makes these pieces cohesive is that the same color is scattered throughout the piece-I vary the position, size of the piece, and chroma/value. What if I didn't do that? Ack!

I really like the random outcomes of these pieces. I have no way of knowing what the final piece will look like. No idea how the shapes and colors will look next to each other and in the context of the piece as a whole. If I change my process then what?

Anyhow, this is what I was thinking about as I made my piece. The bottom line is if you think you are having some success (or having failure) should you switch things up? Have I mentioned The Helsinki Bus Station Theory? It's from an article titled The Proven Path to Doing Unique and Meaningful Work by James Clear(It's OK, I didn't know who he was either. Take a minute to read about what James Clear does.) The Bus Station Theory is a good one. It addresses the question many of us artists have about doing unique and meaningful work and what can happen when we let the work of others lead us astray from doing that work. It's a good read for anyone thinking about copying someone else's work and how NOT TO DO THAT! It's also a good read for those of us who feel insecure or doubtful about our creative paths and look to others for guidance. Honestly, a person needs this article (and the theory). 

What about it then? The upshot of this article is that every time I think about switching up what I am doing or if I look at someone else's work and think Could I do that too? I remind myself about staying on the bus. My bus. My own bus line. (Hint, hint. James gives the answer about how to make your own work unique.) I specifically ask myself if I am about to get on a different bus. Lots of times I can answer no, I am not getting on another bus. But, I know it was a close call!  I almost did.

So, read James's article. He is a good writer with a reasonable and measured voice. The theory is sound too. And good luck! 

Thanks for reading,
Libby



6 comments:

  1. I've read that article, as I used to subscribe to his newsletter. It's good to have the image in your mind of that bus! Whatever reminds us of our path as artists is helpful, but I am also an explorer. As the explorer, I use my own senses to respond to what I discover, so in that way I am open to clues that might lead me into a direction that is different from what I've been doing, yet still emphasizes my own personality and interests. In reviewing my work recently, I see that I have often gone into explorations that have led me back to the beginning again. A circle of what I respond to. Whether it is color or shape or format, your work is always springing from you, especially as an abstract artist. That is why I trust in my response and I'm certain that is what you do as well. Going forward, to me, can mean going deeper. I see that in your work, Libby. You are plumbing the depths, not only of your compositions and colors, but of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      As always, thank you for such a thoughtful response.

      I think the key here, what we are both doing and which relates to the article, is looking to our own work for clues as to what to do next. And responding to what we see and feel will lead us to the next thing that we will do. James's article (and that theory) is a cautionary tale for those times when you look at someone else's work for answers rather than looking at your own. It's hard not to do isn't it?

      It's good to get to the bottom of what we want but it only ends up being the tip of the iceberg most times or as you mentioned, back at the beginning. Paying attention (and asking about that bus!) helps.

      Thank you again for the thought that you give to my posts. It's a generous thing:)
      Libby

      Delete
  2. Your color decisions are not stale. They are vibrant without being overpowering. Keep going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your enthusiastic support! Have I said that lately?:)

      A person does wonder if they are making the same sorts of decisions again and again. It's good to know that at least from your end, it doesn't look that way! I'll just keep at it!
      Libby

      Delete
  3. Libby your Mountain of Strawberries is amazing. I always like your "bus" - it never fails to get me thinking. As for your colors in this piece they look delicious friend. Spent a lot of time reading James Clear's thoughts - just love the one about important vs urgent. Definitely going back to read more. Thanks for the link. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. I am starting to like my own"bus" also. It sure has taken awhile though!

      I like James's writing also. The idea about reworking pieces, about looking to your own work to find out what to do next, really makes sense to me.

      Hope you are doing well. It's going to be 80 degrees today. I can hardly believe the hot summer is beginning:(
      Take care,
      Libby

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it! I reply back in an email if you are signed in and I can see your address. Otherwise I will post the reply here under your comment. I tend to cut and paste my emails too so that others can experience the back and forth which I think is integral to blogging.
Libby