Wednesday, November 14, 2012

New Work: Sentinels

Sentinels
8" x 8" Acrylic on MDF


When I look at one of my finished paintings I can almost always remember if I had a good time or a bad time making it. And oddly enough, I somehow think that shows in the finished piece. I had a great time painting this piece, Princeton Highway, and maybe it's just me but I think that comes through. Other pieces feel worked over or like I labored way too hard.  The above piece flowed out very easily and no, it isn't a function of the composition being simple. (Even though it is I guess.) If I can talk my way through the painting easily and don't struggle with the paint etc., then all is well.

This particular view is looking into a field from the side of the road in the small town of Volcano. I was there a couple of weekends ago and prior to my lunch date with Kay, I snapped some pics. The composition caught my eye because of the subject matter but also because of what I am calling the "banding effect" that a landscape shot can give. You sort of have that field in front, the trees in the middle and the clouds overhead. I like that head on shot idea and I like the horizontal and vertical divisions. Anyhow, I am now thinking about other colorations so maybe another piece is in order? 

Lastly, I went to my first rehab class today. I am going to try and keep with it as directed. It is sort of against my nature to exercise in such a structured way. I like to hop on and off the equipment when I want and to work at my own pace. I think after a few times I will be able to do that so today I just went with what I was told to do. (A novel approach for sure for me!) Working out though on equipment is kind of a snoozle fest for me but I will probably be happy when it is rainy and cold out. I stopped in at the Arts Council too on my way home to help again with the mailer. And now, off to work on a drawing. 

Hope everyone is having a creative Wednesday. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Libby

2 comments:

  1. Really nice and a favorite color scheme too.

    Maybe you can use the time on the equipment to figure out a problem. I've been known to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why this caught your eye, Libby. I like the position of the sun lighting the area behind the trees and coming through and over them. Very appealing.

    ReplyDelete